Re: Maintaining a common set of web site links

Subject: Re: Maintaining a common set of web site links
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:24:02 -0400

On 10/27/05, John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> For several years I've been using a program called CheckIt
> Fastmove from Smith Micro Software...I think it cost me $49 about 5
> years ago.

I'll toss this out as a free option, though likely overkill for most
people: Apache Ant is a build tool used for many Java-based
application development projects, and likely other programming
languages, as well. It has modules in it for copying files from one
directory to another. It will only copy those files that are newer
than the one in the target directory, unless you specifically override
it to copy everything. You can include/exclude specific file types and
even specific files.

There are add-on tools, such as Anthill and Cruise Control, that you
can set up that will automatically run the Ant script at preset
intervals or at specific times. Those tools are usually used to
automate a build process, but could certainly be used to automate a
file copy process, as well. I haven't gone so far as to set them up
for the copying that I do...I chose the much simpler option of putting
a daily reminder in Outlook to manually launch the script.

If your needs are more advanced, and you want to copy files to or from
an FTP site, it can do that, too.

You can download Ant from http://ant.apache.org. If anyone wants to
pursue this and wants to see a sample script for copying files, let me
know and I'll send you my script.

-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com