Re: Opposite of "interactively"?

Subject: Re: Opposite of "interactively"?
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:24:31 -0700

> > If someone has used the term "interactively" to lead off a
> > bullet-point about a shell that prompts the user for needed
> > info, then what "-ively" word can I use to lead off the
> > contrasting bullet about the command-line option, where there
> > are no prompts and you pile all the arguements into the one
> > command??

The word interactive doesn't seem to sit so well here.

In command line operations, there are usually two ways to run a
task/operation.

1. You enter the opening command, and the system prompts you through a
series of choices (argument input) until the operation is complete.

2. You enter the opening command and append the argument string, all in one go.

I'm not sure if you could differentiate these two methods on the basis
of interactionas the second method offers no opportunity for
interaction. The terms staggered or sequential, and one-time or
consolidated come to mind

-ed

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com