RE: Network files run amuk...

Subject: RE: Network files run amuk...
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:55:53 -0700

As people can't open many of the files they are looking for anyways, try
putting them in something that will maintain the appearance, images, links,
etc.... oh, PDF maybe? Batch process them.

Then, install a search engine like the Zoom Search Engine that can index
PDFs ... you can create a search page on your Intranet and people can do
their own searches and find docs they can open and print. Set it to index
target folders on a regular basis.

Then, think about a proper system to keep track of files, producing pdfs,
adding keywords, sorting, etc. Write a procedure for backuping up of project
files and production of 'final' files and how all this needs to be put
together so these things can be found. I bet someone suggested this years
ago and you'll find that reference in the minutes of some meeting or other.
They need to get the opportunity to say "I told you so" ;-))

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca