RE: Educational Backgrounds

Subject: RE: Educational Backgrounds
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:19:08 -0800

Hi All,

I have a "BS in the school of hard knocks" - meaning, over fifteen years
of "unofficial" technical writing, editing, and communications
experience, primarily in Human Resources benefits and information
systems documentation and communication. (Sorry, I know _that's_ a

Plus, in my younger days, I earned two British Advanced Level degrees
(English, Art), and recently (2004) achieved my Certificate in Technical
Writing and Editing from the University of Washington (Washington State,

I agree with Brian - degrees don't count for much if you can't write
clearly, succinctly, and accurately, or even if the reader can't
understand the message. You should have read some of the stuff a couple
of my recent classmates wrote. Ugh.

Lack of a formal four year degree hasn't hampered me -- too much -- but
finally getting my certificate (this one is well respected in this
region and earned college-level credits) gave me added confidence in my
abilities, plus I learned things I never expected to learn.

Just my experience.

Claire Conant
Technical Editor
Digeo, Inc.
Kirkland, WA USA

maker review (October 2005) is here:

Doc-To-Help 2005 converts RoboHelp files with one click. Author with Word or any HTML editor. Visit our site to see a conversion demo movie and learn more.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com