Re: How to indicate a field of bits in a byte

Subject: Re: How to indicate a field of bits in a byte
From: Paul Goble <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:13:16 -0700

On 11/8/05, Jan Axelson <jan -at- lvr -dot- com> wrote:

> I sometimes need to describe the usage of bits of data within a byte, where
> multiple bits in the byte make up a single field.
>
> Example:
>
> Bit 0: End bit
> Bits 1 through 7: CRC bits

I usually use [1:7] or 1..7, depending on the context:
STAT[1:7]: CRC bits
Bits 1..7 of the STAT byte contain the CRC bits.

I'll also spend a few minutes looking at standards and data books, to see
if there's an accepted convention for the particular technology I'm
writing about.
Electrical engineers are usually pretty flexible about such notations, so it's
unlikely they'll even notice, let alone be confused by your choice.

--
Paul Goble
Colorado Springs, Colorado

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com