Re: Bone-headed Question

Subject: Re: Bone-headed Question
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: David Loveless <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:59:00 -0500

> I'm finally graduating from college and entering that lone and
> terrible world known as "the real world."

Don't do it, man! Stay in school, become a professional student, grow
a beard to the floor! ;-)

> So my question is this: I've been everywhere from the highest
> mountain to the lowest valley searching for technical writing jobs and
> while I find a good number on various sites (LinkedIn, Monster, Yahoo
> Jobs, and the local chapter of the STC in particular), I haven't found
> too many positions that match my liking. Any thoughts on a good tech
> writer job search engine?

I don't know of a tech writer job search engine. As far as jobs "to
your liking", what about the jobs have you found distasteful?
Remember, everyone starts somewhere.

> I would prefer something more along the lines of end-user
> documentation and training, but I'm okay with software documentation.

Software documentation can be end-user documentation.

> Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, one more
> thing. I have no problem with relocation either so local job search
> engines would be most welcome.

Search engines are OK. Networking is much better. Start doing that.
Network with your classmates, professors, local STC chapter, on these
types of lists... Participate thoughtfully and helpfully in these
settings and I guarantee you'll grow your personal network stronger
than any search engine will ever hope to. Believe me, it works, and
has worked exceptionally well for me.

Good luck!

--
Bill Swallow