RE: Bone-headed Question

Subject: RE: Bone-headed Question
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:03:16 -0800

Dave,

I am curious. what part of the country are you in?

I don't know of any tech writer search engines. If you're interested in
relocating, I can suggest this site:
http://www.stc-siliconvalley.org/employment/job_index.asp?operation=view

This is the job listing for STC Silicon Valley Chapter.

I certainly respect your desire for a good match. Keep in mind, though,
that the type of company is at least as important as the type of job. A
perfect match at a less-than-perfect company is not something I'd want.

I usually advise recent graduates/beginning tech writers to hold out for
a good position at a really good company. Regardless of what you learned
in school, you'll learn twice as much on the job, and it might as well
be lessons of what to do rather than what *not* to do!

See if you can find a company that will pay for continuing education.
You can really benefit from extra courses in tools and techniques. If
you spin it right, you'll also appear as someone who wants to learn and
contribute to the team and the company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "end-user documentation" versus "software
documentation". I suppose that you're thinking of novice users versus
technical users. I can't advise you on novice user opportunities. By
choice I'm in the very techical end, writing documentation for software
developers.

Be sure to attend your local STC chapter *meetings*. You gain the best
opportunities from face-to-face contacts.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.