Re: A prescriptive language?

Subject: Re: A prescriptive language?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Rob Tovey <robtovey -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:06:11 -0500

On 11/16/05, Rob Tovey <robtovey -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:
> Does communication design use a restricted language? In terms of semiotics,
> does this type of design use a very particular paradigm that can be
> prescriptive?
>
> Is there a Modernist mindset that's defined by an idea of the "best" way to
> communicate?
>
> Should communication design forget a universal, global approach and instead
> target niche groups, using niche language?

My personal belief, which is grounded in cost savings and readability,
is that documentation should be written with a concise global
approach. Niche language (I assume you mean coloqialisms and the like)
can add confusion to readers, whether they are from different
countries, provinces, or social classes. IMO, keep it clean, concise,
and accurate. Written in this manner, information is easy for most to
understand.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com