Re: spacing after a period

Subject: Re: spacing after a period
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:26:04 -0500

That's too bad. Did they also ban computers or require you use fixed
width fonts?

Upon which research did they base their claim of readability?

On 11/17/05, Kristi Gilleland <kgilleland1 -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:
> It is obviously a huge debate -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style_archive_(spaces_
> after_a_full_stop/period)
>
> I always use two. My professors always insisted on it; the last time I took
> a writing course was ten months ago. The reason that I was always given was
> readability, and I have to say that I agree it is easier to read drier
> documents if there are two spaces.

Another item to consider is accuracy. Most software will let you
restrict the number of spaces in a row to one. And, most software lets
you disable such restrictions/ If you disable such restrictions, two
spaces start accidentally popping up all over the place, and you
sometimes find you put three spaces after a period. And, then you go
to HTML and begin crying over the fact that now instead of the
spacebar, you have to type &nbsp;&nbsp; to get your two spaces ....

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.