Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?

Subject: Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?
From: Paul Goble <pgcommunication -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:14:15 -0700

For me, no holiday would necessarily prevent me from attending a
really great conference that I would otherwise attend, though I might
excuse myself and seek out a local church service on, say, Easter. But
a sample size of one, or a hundred, or a thousand replies is probably
not enough to tell you how many tech writers could attend on a given
day in a given place. A better way of finding out which holidays are
important to avoid would be to ask a professional conference planner
in your conference city. Some conference facilities might provide
such advice for free.

In addition to holidays, remember that some people won't travel or
attend the conference on Friday evening, Saturday, or Sunday
(depending on the faith). Also consider that some holidays (like
Thanksgiving and Christmas in the US) may cause transportation snafus
before and after the holiday. And as others have mentioned, local
festivals may be as much or more of a consideration than religious
holidays. In the US, school spring breaks (possibly the first or
third week in March) may be a significant factor.

The American Library Association has a list of which holidays they
avoid: http://www.ala.org/ala/ourassociation/chapters/planningcalendar/planningcalendar.htm

Paul