Re: Batch search & replace according to a text file

Subject: Re: Batch search & replace according to a text file
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:39:10 +0000

On Wednesday, November 23, 2005, Broberg, Mats wrote;

> Dear all,

> I need to search for approx. 250 different expressions in each and
> one of approx. 5,000 different XML files. For each match, I need the
> function to replace the expression with another expression that can
> be specified in an external text file (where also each original
> expression is stated). The expression is an if-clause that is
> surrounded by special tags, so there is no risk expressions in the
> body text will be replaced.

> I suppose this could be done by a script or something like that? Any
> script experts out there?
---

This should be straightforward in VBScript, VBA, PHP, and a few other
languages. For VBScript and VBA, check out the FileSystemObject
object, Folder and File objects, and their properties and methods.

Which languages do you have available? Can you give a clearer idea of
the tags, and so how to identify the content to be replaced? Can you
give a specification for the external text file?

--
Geoff