Re: Chautauqua and 3-D?

Subject: Re: Chautauqua and 3-D?
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:12:39 +0200

I was wondering if anyone attended the Framemaker Chautauqua this
year and learned anything about 3-D products? I was not able to attend
myself, but I've heard rumors of such and it piqued my interest. TIA!

Support for 3-D was introduced in Acrobat Professional 7. Below are links to additional information:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/aec_sb.pdf
http://studio.adobe.com/us/tips/tip.jsp?p=1&id=101244&xml=acr7sd3dcontent
http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1008536.html
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/topic_3d.html

As to including support for 3-D objects in FrameMaker, that will be carried over to different outputs: based on info in other forums, an Adobe representative did mention future support for "rich media" as a possibility. But statements as to any future features, with respect to FrameMaker or other Adobe products, can be classified under "plausible deniability" until (at least) the product is out in the market.

In the meantime, it is relatively easy to specify rich media when converting FM to PDF using hypertext markers in conjunction with my FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers. The base version of TimeSavers supports *linking* to QuickTime or AVI (floating or page-based). Multimedia Assistant provides additional support for many more media types, including *linking and embedding* Flash and MPEG.
After Acrobat 7 was released, I looked into adding 3-D support to the Multimedia Assistant and know that it can be done; if there is concrete demand for it, I will proceed to implementation.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars