[IT education] Better writing with Word - The summary

Subject: [IT education] Better writing with Word - The summary
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:17:36 +0100 (CET)

Some of you have asked what resources I found and what content will be included in my "Structured
Writing with Word" (working title). Here is what I've got so far. If you have any comments or
further resources, tips and must-haves: feel free to write me, I'm still gathering information.
And of course I will make the completed document available to list members.

Jens

--- STRUCTURED WRITING WITH WORD ---

FOUNDATIONS

Configuring Word
- Fast save
- auto correction
- View all menu items
- ?

Using Mouse & Keyboard
- Quick overview of the special keys on a typical PC keyboard
- The wisdom of learning Shortcuts: faster, less cognitive load, less interruptive
- Word is character-based
- paragraph marks (soft & hard)
- tabulators
- ?

One or Two Warnings
- master document
- Lists & Numbering
- ?

BUILDING A CLEAN DOCUMENT
- no double spaces
- no empty paragraphs
- tabulators
- use of paragraph and character styles
- The proper order: structure, content, format

POINT OF VIEW
- Using the four different views

Outline
- Writing
- Brainstorming
- Building the document structure
- Changing the document structure (hierarchy, order)
- Quick navigation
- anomalies (ctrl-tab, selecting table content)
- keyboard: tab/shift-tab, ctrl-shift-N, number block +, number block -

Normal
- Writing
- Proofreading
- Formatting text

Layout
- Writing
- Formatting text
- Formatting pages (margins, headers&footers)

TIPS (interspersed throughout the document)
- Cleaning out manual formatting
- How to use Search & Replace, recursive replacing
- Working with a left hand mouse (Ctrl/Shift-Insert instead of Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V)
- Paste without formatting
- Selecting text with the keyboard
- ?

RESOURCES