Re: Project Management Office

Subject: Re: Project Management Office
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: Toni Williams <tonicw -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:19:51 -0600

At 8:56 AM -0800 12/5/05, Toni Williams wrote:

Good morning all,
My smallish (65) but growing software company, where I
am one of two technical writers, has undergone a major
reorg. One of the changes is the establishment of a
PMO (Project Management Office) to manage all projects
-- smallest to largest. The reporting structure is
that we all -- qa, engineers, writers, designers, BAs,
etc -- report directly to a director but at the same
time can also be reporting to one or more PMs
depending upon the project(s) we've been assigned to.
This looks to me as if they are working to eliminate
middle management such as the Manager of
Documentation.
Have any of you had experience working with this
business model? I'd appreciate hearing your
experiences and opinions.
Thanks.

Toni Williamr

Toni,

I have had less than stellar experience with this. My view of management is very biased, as I consider most of them totally untrained. Most organizations don't even recognize that they are operating under General Staff configuration, and don't really understand staff theory, how to manage, or lead. You are going to be at the mercy of the skills of whomever is placed in charge at the director level. To make it worse, PMO's generally degenerate into factious groups unless there is a very strong leader making them follow procedure and play nicely.

Functional management should remain in place for resource management, career development, and standards. But it probably won't based on your comments. Good luck. You best bet is to present your needs strongly. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Make decisions and let the PMO and director catch up to your lead.

They will reorganize again, in 6 to 12 months once they figure out they can't handle the workload, and keep standards, and coordination moving.

Scott