RE: Expanding a Company's Technical Writing Group

Subject: RE: Expanding a Company's Technical Writing Group
From: Jennifer_Gidner -at- dom -dot- com
To: <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:15:25 -0500

Chad,

Both you and Bill posed good question. My boss wants to expand the TW
group because his boss feels technical writing is needed. He actually sees
that people need guides to tell them how to use the software our
programmers create. It's that simple.

I have no real concrete way to measure our ROI. We literally spend most of
our time cranking out user guides and Help systems for the various
applications our in-house programmers produce. (We work for a major
utility.) So, honestly, I know we help people, but I don't know how to
quantify that information.

Thanks as always for any help,

Jen

"Chad LaCroix"
<chad -at- architext-u
sa.com> To
<Jennifer_Gidner -at- dom -dot- com>,
PM cc

Subject
Please respond to RE: Expanding a Company's Technical
<chad -at- architext-u Writing Group
sa.com>

Hi Jennifer,

I agree with Bill, any info that you can get to your boss that describes
your value to the bottom line is always a huge plus.

As for my own $.02 ->

Try to find out what his goals are. Does he want to expand your dept. to
write more content...better content? What are his motives? What made him
take this initiative?

If you can find out what his goals are and align them with how you present
the advantages of expanding your dept. you stand a pretty good chance. Try
to draw him a map to where he wants to be with your arguments for
expanding.

Can you tell I write Mar/Comm? =)

Best,

Chad

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information
which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any
case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto
which binds the sender without an additional express written
confirmation to that effect. The information is intended solely for
the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is
unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you
have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.