RE: Hiring Question

Subject: RE: Hiring Question
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:35:44 -0800

However, I'm doing writing kind of test for my employer as we try to find
writers. Why? Easy.

The test is not about writing. I assume as a professional writer, you can
write. I'm interested in how you approach a badly organized page of
information. I'm looking for logical reorganization and effective
information design. I don't care about typos, etc, as this is a first draft.
I'm very interested in does it occur to you to add a table and bullets to
make this piece of information clearer. How about some headings? Do you add
parallelism? That sort of thing.

The instructions are very clear about what I'm looking for and you have
about 15 minutes. Feel free to make stuff up, because you don't know the
product domain this information is about. You can't finish and that's fine.
I'm looking for the approach, not the final result.

I'm also looking for how you respond to having this sprung on you. That
shows me how you might react to surprises in general. Some people have let
me see their ooky face. Most people start copyediting. I have gotten very
little information design and the piece cries out for at least headings, a
table, and some bullets.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting