Re: Documenting A Ballet Dance

Subject: Re: Documenting A Ballet Dance
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:14:51 -0500

> The writer's product is his or her document. When you hire a writer, you
> want a person who can produce a suitable document. You do NOT want the
> ultimate product.

I hire to suit the ultimate product. I have a writer who has been
working on a documentation project in support of a software product,
and she's done almost no writing. And yet, the product is going out
the door with far more usable documentation and enhanced features than
it's ever had. A tech writer was instrumental in this feat.

Anyone can write a document. Personally I think it's high time tech
writers took note of this. Sure, it may not conform to your exacting
standards, but it'll probably be adequate. So what's the value we add?
A document? I'd like (no, I hope) to think not.

Bill Swallow
HATT List Owner
WWP-Users List Owner
I support Char James-Tanny for STC Secretary.

project-based workflow. Try it today!

proprietary editor! *August release.

or visit

Documenting A Ballet Dance: From: Tony Markos
RE: Documenting A Ballet Dance: From: Bonnie Granat