FW: Document Control Systems

Subject: FW: Document Control Systems
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:57:46 -0700

I have been tasked to select 5 "document control systems" and make a recommendation to our management team for a company-wide "solution".  The ONLY criteria I've been given are:  "We want to have an application, preferably web based, that allows all employees to have read-only access to ALL technical and user documentation based on user access.  We want it catalogued and searchable in a user-friendly way so folks can easily find documentation.  We want it to have good version control tracking and good controls on who has write access to each document.  The issues keep coming up that we have multiple copies of documents spread all over the network and nobody knows where to find anything."

At this time, everyone keeps whatever they want (or create) on whatever portion of whatever server on our "LAN" that they have access to (or on their own desktop).  We DO NOT have a formal intranet (this is another subject and one I've been harping about since I started, to no avail).  I have not been given a price range - only that I should select "2 cheap, 2 middle and one cadillac".  We are a Windows server and XP shop (tho' I think there are Linix servers, too -  not my area).   Most files created are in one of the MS Office applications, with the exception of construction diagrams created in a CAD program (no, I don't know which one).

Finally, because much of our data can be considered evidence in court proceedings, a hosted solution is not an option.  This needs to be in-house.

Any suggestions/help/direction would be *greatly* appreciated!

Clare Turner, Technical Writer
Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.
15020 N. 74th St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260