Re: Document Control Systems

Subject: Re: Document Control Systems
From: Wanda Phillips <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:19:33 -0800

We have quite the procedure for investigating and evaluating software
requirements. We're currently evaluating editors to work with our
Documentum implementation (as FrameLink is no longer supported and
FrameMaker's support of DITA is less than fabulous).
I agree with folks on the list who are advising a complete set of
requirements, include weighting and scoring (weighting = how
important, scoring can include levels such as *out of the box*,
*requires additional tools*, *requires 3rd party tools*, and so on).
For example, for us Documentum included features such as a great
workflow tool which generates reports suitable for an FDA audit.
Include other people from the company to ensure that any additional
requirements are met. We did not do that well with Documentum and
we're trying to correct that with our DITA tool.
For a CMS, I would include being able to plug in whatever tools you're
currently using. For example, with Documentum, we can deal directly
with the repository using a variety of tools (but not, clearly,
FrameMaker).
Wanda Phillips
--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people