RE: Callouts in Graphics

Subject: RE: Callouts in Graphics
From: "Chad LaCroix" <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:45:07 -0500

Snip->

<We are being asked to include no text in any graphic, but to include bubble
numbers with lead arrows anywhere we want to include text.>

<Has anyone else gone to this model? How has it been received by your users?
Any problems that rose and needed to be resolved?>

Hi CB,

I work for a localization firm. This method of handling graphics is
becoming very popular. We actually see more of this now then ever before.
Because, as you pointed out, it is extremely costly to localize a graphic
with text that is not editable in the documents' authoring application
(FrameMaker etc.). By using callouts only you end up not having to open up
the graphic in its original program (Illustrator, CAD or whatever) to
translate text. Some of our clients have reduced their costs by a third or
more by doing away with text that is embedded in a graphic.

One problem for usability that I have encountered is for graphics of an
actual product. A recent graphic of a router comes to mind. There was text
written directly on the router (port A or something like that). For these
graphics, IMHO, callouts do not do as good of a job. However, for many
hardware products like this, the labeling on the actual product is not
translated so the text in the graphic remains in English and often times the
localized version of this text is then put into a callout.

I think a lot depends on what type of product you're documenting.

IHTH a lil' at least.

Best,

Chad