Re: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: New Poll Question
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:47:55 -0800

I suspect I'm at least as old as Dick.

From the radio, I remember listening to Red Skelton, The Shadow, and The Whistler.

In the area of TV, I recall the Buster Brown Show on Saturday mornings ("Plunk your magic twanger, Froggie"); The Howdy Doody Show when Bob Keeshan was Clarabell; Kukla, Fran, and Ollie; the Texaco Star Theater (aka, the Milton Berle Show), and original broadcasts of I Love Lucy. Oh, and the original Bandstand show when it was just a local Philadelphia afternoon show, before the founding MC was busted (officially for DUI, but rumors flew about Mann Act violations) and replaced by Dick Clark.

The first family car I remember was a gun-metal blue Willys, but the first one I remember us buying new was a red & white '57 Chevrolet.

I remember ordering a baking-soda-driven plastic submarine by mail with cereal-box proofs-of-purchase.

The first computer I programmed was an IBM 1620. I was punching the cards for the final project in my first programming class when a guy came into the computer center and told me that the President had been shot--John F. Kennedy, that is. The first one I was paid to program professionally was the brand-new IBM System 360, model 40; we were converting FORTRAN IV programs from the IBM 7044 to run on the new 360.

--Guy K. Haas
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley