Re: Scoping a DocumentationProject??

Subject: Re: Scoping a DocumentationProject??
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:01:09 -0500

In my experience, this is often first done in a hallway conversation with the person who wants the scope for some sort of project requirements document. I try to get a very basic understanding of the project - how extensive is it, how many programmers are working on it, do they have a spec - and find out who the product champion is (the person who has the most to lose or gain by its success). Then I read what I can get and talk to as many people as I can find out are working on it. My goal in the conversation is to discover what is currently "known" about the project, what is assumed, what is hoped for and desired. Then I spend some time (gasp!) thinking. Then I decide based on my experience with the people involved (things like "Can they say 'No' and mean it" enter into my thought process), similar projects (new technology or something well understood), similar sized projects, what we currently have I can borrow or outright steal, and make my determinations based on that. As you can see, it's a non-scientific personal process. You can't teach experience.

And I'm usually pretty darn accurate about what needs to be developed, how long it will take, and what the final results will look like.

John Garison

Tony Markos wrote:

John:

By "scoping out" a software documentation project, I
mean determining the "extent of" the project.
(Note: This scoping needs to be done when the TW is
not creating documentation for an already developed
(i.e., scope already firmed) product - like for
requirements specs or test plans.)

Tony

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Tony...define what you mean by "scope out"

John Posada Senior Technical Writer "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the
same." --Oscar Wilde