RE: Resources on estimating documentation projects

Subject: RE: Resources on estimating documentation projects
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "'Robyn Richards'" <robynrrr -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:10:12 -0500

Start by tracking time on your own projects (or if you've been doing it,
compiling the information into something useful --- that's my New Year's
resolution). Although there are good estimating guidelines out there, the
best information is your own experience in your own company.

Every person-corporation-project mix has a different outcome. For example, I
have tracked my hours with small companies and large companies. Large
company projects usually take more time than small company projects ---
generally because there are more meetings and more reporting requirements.
Anyway, from tracking my time, I have a good sense of my own capabilities
(about 2-3 hours per page written, 1 hour per page online help in an ideal
well-documented project), plus a sense of what factors are going to push
those numbers up (things like complex material; programmers who routinely
ignore screen specifications; report-happy managers; uncooperative
reviewers; managers who trump project features at the last minute).

Good luck. Someone else mentioned the Hackos book, which is a good place to
start.

Regards,

Barb