RE: OS and MS Word conflict?

Subject: RE: OS and MS Word conflict?
From: "Chad LaCroix" <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:28:57 -0500

GH -->

"Some Asian languages can be defined by the authors of a document to use
a grid-based layout rather than a free-flowing layout. What this means
(very superficially and simplistically) is that Word aligns the
characters in rows and columns rather than using the continuously
flexible spacing you'll see in English. When you try to display this
information in an English-only version of Word, the software has no
idea how to handle the grid information, and flails about, pretending
it knows what to do. The display becomes appalling... what you see
(where you click) is definitely not what you get."

--------

Hmm, pretending it knows what to do huh? I know some people that do that
all too often. =)

Thank you Geoff! Although we do have the appropriate language support
installed I did not know anything about column vs. continuous spacing and
the options around this. I'll play around with this and see where it gets
me. Thanks again, this is very helpful.

Best,

Chad