Re: saving trees (printing)

Subject: Re: saving trees (printing)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:49:55 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

I'm interested in cutting down the number of pages in our printed
manuals in favor of electronic delivery (PDF, HTML, c-s Help systems,
etc.). I wanted to get a feel from people who have done this as to
what the customer reaction was. Please don't reply with comments on
the value of print and so forth (at least not to this thread)... I'm
just looking for customer reactions. We're doing our own audience
analysis, content analysis, and so forth, but having some outside info
will also help in our decisions.

I was looking for a Web-based calendar tool. Jerry and Char pointed me to an open source tool on sourceforge.net. The documentation is easily accessed online in html format. I neeed the system admin guide to install and configure the product.

But y'know what? I printed it out anyway.

Generally speaking, I think delivering documents electronically saves a lot of paper for the manufacturer. However, paper consumption in the US has exploded since the introduction of the laser printer. So I don't think you're saving any trees; you're just shifting the cost of printing to the end user and raising the overall printing cost in the bargain (laser printing being much more expensive than offset printing).

I'm not suggesting you don't make the change. I'm just suggesting that the change won't actually save trees.

Dick