Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"

Subject: Could be "Why Open Office kicks MS Word's butt"
From: Collin T <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:22:28 -0700

So, as I am using Open Office 2.0 (for it's PDF abilities), I have
come to admire it's many supiriorities over MS Word 2003.
*Creating Templates
*Numbered and Bulleted lists
*Formatting
*Native exporting to PDF
*Relatively clean HTML saves
*Several other features...try it.

Of course, I have seen some limitations too. And I have wondered
about the "Track Changes" abilities of Open Office (if it has any, and
if they're compatible with Word.)

But the BIG question is formatting. I haven't gotten into any heavy
formatting with Open Office, and I certainly haven't tried to transfer
any of said heavy formatting to Word. My fear is that it would just
die painfully on the table.

And of course, there is the "Bucking the Industry Standard" stance.
Could it be done? Could a lone Tech Writer shrug the chains of Word
and forge ahead...wielding Open Office as his weapon of choice?

Anyone doing this?

Anyone????

-Collin Turner
--
"The record, not the remix, is the anomaly today."

-William Gibson "Gods Little Toys"
Wired 13.07