Editing screenshots that use the Windows XP look

Subject: Editing screenshots that use the Windows XP look
From: andrea frazier <alf_hatt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:29:36 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

My department is in the process of changing the
screenshots in our printed documentation from the
Windows Classic look to the Windows XP look. However,
doing so produces screenshots with shading or
gradients and pixelated text, numbers, and screen
backgrounds. Because of the pixelation, it takes much
more time to manually edit screenshots (for example,
to mock up data, or add/remove features that aren't
yet complete) than it did with Windows Classic.

The tools we have to work with are Paint Shop Pro
[[version 7 and a trial version of Corel PSP (ver
10)]] and MS Paint, and none of them offers a
straightforward way to quickly edit image files.
Purchasing a more robust tool like Photoshop is
prohibitively expensive because we have 18 writers in
our department, and we all need access to our own copy
of whatever graphics tool we're using. Is there any
other reasonably-priced tool that lets you easily edit
screenshots manually to address the issues described
above? Also, I am curious how others who are using the
Windows XP look in their printed documents are
handling the gradients and increased file size needed
to make the screenshots look OK.

If it matters -- I am using MS Word 2003 to create
hardcopy docs and then converting to PDF. Also, if
anyone knows of a list dedicated to working with
graphics that would be more appropriate for my
questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com