RE: Asking for opinions about this job

Subject: RE: Asking for opinions about this job
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Me Too" <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:08:32 -0800

If you think you need more writers, you have to go to your boss and make
your case. Nobody is going to do it for you. As the lone technical
writer, you're a manager as well.

I don't think there is a hard and fast ratio for writers to engineers.
My company has about 30-40 people that "relate" to technical writing,
but my workload is not yet sufficient to require an additional writer.
If it did, I'd be the first to request help.

I come from a software engineering background. In SWE, when we face a
resource shortage, the first thing we do *as engineers* is look for
additional resources. Managers usually set up plans months in advance.
Nobody is going to come to a SWE manager to offer resources.

You have to decide for yourself what you want to do. If you're really
unhappy, tell your manager, and ask for additional resources. You may
not get them, but at least you will not be sitting around wondering.

Joe