Re: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

Subject: Re: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:44:01 -0500

Rick Stone wrote:

Seriously, it's my opinion that if we were truly advancing, whatever we
devised would no longer render the former technology of the day obsolete.
Instead, the newer format or version would be inclusive of the former medium.

There's one problem with Rick's proposal - the medium itself.

For example, old as I am (not quite as old as Dick) I have some media that goes back a long ways. I still have a bunch of 5.25" floppy disks, and one really old 8" SSDD floppy (both back from the days when floppy disks really were floppy). The thing that makes them obsolete is not the recorded data - since it's essentially magnetic tape laid out flat rather than rolled up, I assume it still contains the data with sufficient integrity - it's the device needed to read the old medium. While the 8" floppy is useful only as a curiosity, I still have an ancient old 486 in the basement that has a 5.25" floppy drive ... if I really needed to, I could get at the data by firing it up, reading the 5.25" disk, copying it only a 3.5" disk, find the other old monstrosity that has both 3.5 and a modem, and email it to myself from that one.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Since making a universal input drive is really a pipe dream - insert data storage device here; read data there - it appears that storing information online someplace out on the Web is the real solution ... for now.

My 2¢,

John