RE: Viso PDFs look poor -- Long

Subject: RE: Viso PDFs look poor -- Long
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:48:48 -0600

Hi Kirk: I haven't had that problem in a long time, so I'll share what I
do. Maybe it will help. I've been making pdfs from visio for about 7-8 yrs.
Get the drivers for the HP 8550 Color Laser Jet and install on LPT1
(dnld from hp.com) Over the years, I keep moving to the latest high end
postscript printer drivers from HP and others. If it's a CAD drawing, I use
the Panther Imagesetter driver or one of the HP large format postscript
printer drivers.
At work I probably have 8 printers installed that I've actually never seen.
Anywho, checkmark the "print to file" box with the 'virtual' printer
selected. Some drivers add .prn or .ps, but if it doesn't add an extension
to the file, just add .ps yourself. Make sure you set the printer to convert
Truetype fonts to outlines and set the printer output to at least 600 dpi.
Then open Distiller, use the Press profile or set up your own, choose
"embed all fonts" and open the .ps file with Distiller. It should drop the
pdf into the same folder.

BTW, make use of Distiller's help files and work over the Adobe site. There
are tons of excellent info on creating pdfs there.

Remember GIGO. If your placed image in visio is 100dpi, it will look like
cr_p no matter what you do. Any imported artwork put in visio should be 300
dpi at a minimum for a decent pdf; 600 is better. And don't resize imported
images in visio. Use Photoshop.

When you are happy with the appearance, experiment with various settings to
reduce the file size.

Kirk, If trying this doesn't seem to work for you, send me your worst
offender and I'll try to troubleshoot your issues.

rick