Re: The non-learning organization?

Subject: Re: The non-learning organization?
From: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 04:14:14 -0800

On Jan 13, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

No, there isn't. But in most cases, there also isn't much you as
an individual contributor or even a first or mid level manager can
do about it. It's a "corporate culture" thing.

What I do about it: follow good project planning practices in our
own work, push back on developers and upper management
when the poor practices of other groups impact my people and
keep my own resume and networking contacts active in the event
the bad practices appear to become threatening to the company.

Gene Kim-Eng

I agree with everything Gene says, and would add this:

Relax. Bubble baths are a life saver in situations like this, and are not as fattening as beer or chocolates. It's a matter of corporate culture, and you will not be able to change it. And no, stupid people don't learn from their mistakes, and will go on to make the same mistakes later in other companies.

I used to get all het up about the lousy management I saw at the companies I worked with; usually their bad practices not only threatened the health of the project but the value of my stock options. Now that I no longer get stock options (wouldn't take 'em on a bet these days), I am much less emotionally attached to the companies I work with. Let go, and find something else to worry about, something you can actually fix.

Sarah