Re: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question

Subject: Re: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:22:14 -0800

Everybody is an "end-user" for something. Once you accept that and
concentrate on learning what each user knows, does not know, needs
to know and does not need to know, things usually seem to fall into
place. Just make sure that the prospective clients know the level of
your experience (or lack thereof) and have not been oversold on you
by your previous client and that there will be no surprises about you
being a development "novice."

RUP is not particularly intuitive, but in this case it sounds to me as if
the developers and project managers are the ones who need to know
the entire process; you as a writer will simply be one of the resources
that are to be deployed according to RUP. Unless your client's project
managers are ineffective and you are forced to take on their roles as
well as your own to get things done, you shouldn't need to worry too
much about it.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>

I think some of you here have a rough idea of my capabilities as a technical
writer. I'm a good end-user writer, but I have no experience with software
development documentation. I would be truly a novice -- but maybe it's
something that a novice could pick up quickly?

Question: Can I learn this by doing it? Is the RUP process intuitive? Am I
just out of my league here, and should I say so upfront and not waste his or
my time on further discussion of this project?