Re: Not sure who I'm looking for...

Subject: Re: Not sure who I'm looking for...
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:44:42 -0500

Ed Wurster wrote:

Dick Margulis wrote:

So I know I need to find someone who is patient and skilled at
extracting information from a difficult SME and who can work
face-to-face with her in LA for the several days it will take to extract
the information from her. But what I don't know is what technical skills
I'm looking for in terms of the best way to represent an expert system.

I would look for a systems analyst rather than a tech writer. I'm sure
there are other job descriptions for this type of person. I found one
description for architect at http://tinyurl.com/83jdx.

Before the functional spec you would like someone to filter all of
those great client ideas, define solutions, look at the feasibility,
and so on. It sounds like some of this was done (the flow charts you
mention), but that could be very dated info. If you or I look at the
existing flow charts, how would we know if the system would deliver
its goals?

Ed,

Based on your comments and some others, I think someone with business analyst and systems analyst experience, particularly in terms of expert systems, is probably what I'm looking for. I don't want a systems architect, because the architecture is going to come after the functional requirements (and before the design, of course). My client is negotiating to sell the knowledge base (the collection of expert rules) to a development organization that is quite capable of doing its own architecture and design; but they want a clearer understanding of the way the rules work--the business logic at the abstract level, not at the implementation level--before they commit. Hence the need for someone to reduce the logic to graphic form.

Dick