FrameMaker tables

Subject: FrameMaker tables
From: cll01821 -at- lycos -dot- com
To: guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:01:32 -0500

Hi, Guy.

Assume the left margin of your document is 1". If you set the left indent to 0" and the table width to 5" the cell will extend to the 6" mark on the page. If you set the left indent to .25" and the table width to 5", the cell will extend to the 6.25" mark on the page. If you set the left indent to .5 and the table width to 5", the cell will extend to the 6.5" mark on the page. This is what I would expect to happen.

If you want all the tables to extend from the left indent to the right margin, for example, to 6.5", you need to change the column width for each -- set the width of the 0" left indent column to 5.5 and the width of the .25 left indent column to 5.25. Then all the cells will extend to 5.5".

For fun, I played with the right indent setting. I think it applies only when you set the table alignment to right.

I tried setting the table titles before and after creating the table. It didn't help. I see the same problem that you described. It looks as though FrameMaker calculates the size of the cell for the title this way:

Value of left indent + column width + value of left indent. For example, the width of the cell containing the table title for the table with a left indent of .5" is .5" + 5" + .5", or 6". The title is centered within the cell.

Carol