RE: Taking on a contract

Subject: RE: Taking on a contract
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Kevin McGowan" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:56:35 -0600

With a small shop, one of the first questions I'd have is "how much do
you want to spend."

Don't forget to gain the best possible vision of what THEIR expectations
are -- especially since you've a friend there (friends are harder to
gain than customers, and more valuable).

Both of these issues can be addressed by creating a solid Statement of
Work, and asking them to review and approve it. Standard stuff, but
easily skipped when working with friends.

You should, of course, do your best to guide their expectations based on
your expertise, but, at the end of the day, if you produce X, and they
wanted Y, there is potential for loss in both the professional and
personal areas . . .. neither is a happy event.