RE: Items in a Series and Comma Use

Subject: RE: Items in a Series and Comma Use
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Kirk Turner" <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:12:01 -0500

Kirk Turner asked...

> I'm not a newbie, but I realize that this is a newbie question. For
> thirty
> years, I've used commas after each item in a series (except, of
course,
> the
> last) as is traditional. I was wondering about the current practice of
> omitting the comma after the second-to-last item in a series. Is this
> convention a fad that might revert back to the old style or an
established
> grammar rule? How many of you use this convention? For example,
>
> A. Document submittal requirements are identified and defined in the
> following flow chart, checklist and guidelines.
>
> B. Document submittal requirements are identified and defined in the
> following flow chart, checklist, and guidelines.
>
> I am editing a manual that should last for years, and I don't want to
fall
> victim to topical comma use, but if Example A is to be the norm, I
don't
> want to be incorrect either. I've used convention in Exampled "A" in
the
> manual so far, but I'm having doubts.

MLA Style Guide (the academic English style guide) would tell you "B" is
correct. The Chicago Manual of Style (traditional Journalism style
guide) would tell you "A" is correct. The Microsoft Manual of Style
(arguably the most prevalent style guide in corporate America) would
tell you "B" is correct. The Sun style guide also is quite prevalent,
but I don't have a copy so I can't say what it tells you. My boss's
personal preference would tell you "A" is correct.

So there you have it. All the sources surveyed think half the choices
are right all the time. And half the sources surveyed think one of the
choices is wrong all the time. So take your pick. Ultimately, I would
check your company's (or client's) style guide--if one exists--or go
with what seems less confusing to you.