Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use?

Subject: Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:11:15 +1100

Al Geist wrote:

As I send in the beginning, this is one of those threads that can go on
forever. I never use that dreaded extra comma in my personal writing, or in anything that I send to magazines, etc., but that's me. Since I've been published a lot and have had end users compliment me on the clarity of my writing, not using that last comma hasn't been a problem.

My degree is in journalism, but I came from the technical writing field
> before I got my degree and returned to it sometime after. When first
became a technical writer (from working in hardware engineering),
> the former English teacher who was my "boss" used that extra
> comma. The person who took over for him didn't use it. He had
> a EE degree with a journalism minor.

Most of the people I know who are adamant about using it are English majors (or minors). [snip]

FYI, I have a journalism degree myself and I am fairly
sure that this implied simplistic split between practical
journalists and picky English majors probably doesn't apply
to others who have been participating in this discussion
either.

-- Janice