Re: The Technical Writer vs. Agile Development Methodologies

Subject: Re: The Technical Writer vs. Agile Development Methodologies
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Tracy Taylor <ipsque -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, bonnie -dot- turner -at- oracle -dot- com
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 07:21:58 -0800 (PST)

The rap on Agile Development is that, improperly
implemented, it is perceived by the developers as but
a "license to hack". Several have posted that, in
Agile development, the developers focus on producing
software rather than documenting requirements. It is
not that simple; modeling of ESSENTIAL requirements (a
form of requirements documentation) is just as
important as ever (for further information, research
Agile Modeling).

A couple of TWs have posted that, in an agile
environment, they work one module at a time as each
module is created. This is all fine and daddy,
provided that the all the modules ultimately tie
together. If they do not - and unless good
requirements documentation via modeling has been
accomplished, this is pretty much guaranteed - in the
latter phases of the project, all heck is going to
break lose - for the designers, TWs, and all else.

So what is a TWs role in an Agile environment? Look
at the how well the essential requirements are
modeled. If the models are good, then you (the TW)
are going to have alot of fun on the project easily
creating properly modularized (i.e., user friendly)
docs. If the developers are working primarily by just
going to meetings and then "hacking", then you (the
TW) are in for a real tough time, as once again, the
pains of integration are in one way form or another
pawned off on you.

Tony Markos
"Do It With A DXD" (where X is a censored character)

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

methodologies. The principle is that developers value
working software over complete documentation, meaning
functional and technical requirements - they'd rather
have software that works than spend time writing
designs. The main complaint about this for writers is
that they have to spend more time than usual in
meetings and absorbing information from
conversations developers have around them to get the
information
they need.

http://mail.yahoo.com