Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**

Subject: Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:36:23 -0500

Hi Kirk,
I have had to do this many times. I find the best way to tackle it is to have a macro perspective first, then deal with it on the micro level. By that I mean, get a sense of the overall document as a whole. It seems onerous, but a solid readthrough of the entire manual first will give you an idea of where the voice changes. Piece by piece, it's harder to discern. However, when you're running straight through from front to back, you can perceive the breaks more easily. A second start-to-finish read where you mark the places that snag you, would be the next step. Mark the places where the tone, pace, rhythm, and voice change or seem inconsistent. Then you can go back at the page and paragraph level to edit.

At the micro level, does one writer favor longer sentences than the others? Is there too much passive writing from the lawyers? Some writers have pet words they overuse. Much of this editing is applying style and correct usage consistently through the document. When you've gone through the bits, go back up to the overall level and read through it again.

Literally, if the voice you hear in your head sounds different, that's a place you need to smooth out. The art is in coming up with a collective voice that is not specifically _your_ voice. It won't be a bad job if, in the end, it does sound like you wrote the whole thing. That's perfectly acceptable. If you can manage to come up with a consolidated voice, you've done a masterful job.
--Beth

From: "Kirk Turner" To: Subject: Giving a Document **One Voice** Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:33:18 -0500

After editing and assembling a large manual authored by 11 architects, contractors, and lawyers. I have now been asked to rewrite it in order to give the document **one voice.** I have done this before, but not on a document this large and not enough to have a familiar approach to accomplishing it. I know that giving a document one voice is more of an art than a quantitative method, but before I begin, I would be interested in learning what steps members took to achieve this common assignment and and/or how they approached it on their own projects.
--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication