Re: On Office Politics and Being the New Kid

Subject: Re: On Office Politics and Being the New Kid
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:13:40 +1100

Ron Hearn wrote:

Hi Lori
It sounds like you are definitely stepping on the other person's toes
and her rather bizarre conception of the purpose of documentation. It
reminds me of the developers' mantra - "if an application was difficult
to develop, it should be hard to use."
In your case, I think you have to go back to your job description or
role and see if documenting her area is part of your mandate. If it is,
you should inform her that she is preventing her from performing your
role. You might also list the well-worn benefits of documentation (e.g.
fewer support desk calls etc.). Failing that, I would recommend
escalating the issue to your manager, who should be aware of what is
going on if you can't resolve it.

Actually, I would reverse the order of this strategy
and use a Miss Manners approach to my manager: "Just
wanted to clarify my job responsibilities - I thought
that part of the reason I was hired was to provide
documentation for the system but the intranet site
manager has indicated that the site is her responsibility
and she doesn't want notes on the procedures found there.
Could you confirm whether those procedures are part
of my responsibilities?"

If your manager confirms that they are, you can tell the
person who has been maintaining the site that you have the
authority to ask for changes. In a nice way, of course :->

-- Janice