Re: Formality is going bye-bye?

Subject: Re: Formality is going bye-bye?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "jim guarino" <jag9330 -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "Dubin,David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, "Collin T" <tutivillus -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:00:41 -0800

If what you mean is the percentage of *literate* people who
behave as if they're sub-literate, I suppose that's possible,
but without checking the capability of each and every one of
them, I'm not sure how you'd distinguish between those who
can read but won't and those who managed to get the piece
of paper that say they should be able to when they really
can't...

Offhand, my guess is that the percentage of the population
that qualifies as "well educated" is probably not terribly
different from its historical levels, but that the gulf between
them and the grossly uneducated is now filled with an
increasing number who have managed to climb up to
mediocrity.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "jim guarino" <jag9330 -at- earthlink -dot- net>

Here's a hypothesis. Feel free to tear it up, re-construct it, dismiss it. I think that America is more literate than ever before, but it is also more intellectually lazy than ever before. The % of population that is sub-literate may be shrinking, but the % that acts as if it were sub-literate is increasing. It's a lot easier to watch and read tabloids than it is to take on a challenging topic.