Re: Techwhirlers, re: rude email

Subject: Re: Techwhirlers, re: rude email
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: John Bartol <johnbartol -at- shaw -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:34:50 -0600

Actually, it wasn't a flame. I've lived absolutely everywhere in the world except Africa. Was I treated rudely in Singapore or Hong Kong? Perhaps. Was I ever scared for my safety because I'm an attractive redhead--no, and her email doesn't even really say what her "real" issues are, just as Posada pointed out. But I also wouldn't email the list saying I'm cute, how does "cute" and "blonde" actually fit into this equation anyway? She doesn't talk much about her intelligence, only about superficial things that are HIGHLY subjective.

We currently have a Bulgarian Exchange Student and some of the observations she's made about Americans (and she goes to an English-immersion school and watches American cinema) are very astute and interesting.

I found her email offensive and thought before I sent it, I know what a flame is, if I wanted to I'd blog about her, that's how I vent, I don't post to a public forum!

Michele

---------------
Michele E. Davis, Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516
612-309-6903 (cell)
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber geek empyre

John Bartol wrote:

No, I didn't find it offensive. I would say that it shows the original writer has heard stories about other parts of the world and has not had the chance to find out if they're true or not.

Could it have been written better? Yes.
Is it a valid concern? For her, yes.