Re: From documentation to training

Subject: Re: From documentation to training
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Jens Reineking <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:55:38 -0500

Hi, Jens.

You will find that your technical writing skills will serve you well
as you transition to training. I am in a "utility infielder"
position as a senior consultant with a multinational now, doing some
writing, some training, and some business process analysis in roughly
equal proportions, and there is considerable (REALLY considerable)
overlap in the skill sets for all three activities.

Here are a couple of books that I found exceptionally helpful in
making the transition into training development and delivery:

Developing Training Courses : A Technical Writer's Guide to
Instructional Design and Development
by Rives Hassell-Corbiell
ISBN: 0970145403

Rapid Instructional Design : Learning ID Fast and Right
by George M. Piskurich
ISBN: 0787947210

Amusingly, when I went to Amazon to check the exact titles and ISBN
numbers (the books are at the office and I'm typing this at home) I
found that Amazon is offering a discount if you buy these books as a
pair! Apparently I'm not the only one who finds them both useful.

Websites -

The "Creating Passionate Users" blog has some great stuff now and
again on adult learning. Check it out here:

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/

Especially, read this post - "A Crash Course In Learning Theory" -
http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/01/crash_course_in.html

Finally, I don't know precisely where you're located (though your
e-mail address suggests Germany) but consider joining a professional
organization like the American Society for Training and Development
(http://astd.org.) It's not cheap, but especially if you have an
active local chapter, it's a good investment.

Hope this helps!

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://campbell-online.com