Re: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:08:44 -0500

Cathy,

You are not the first to be in this situation, and you
probably won't be the last. I feel your pain. So far, you've
been given a lot of good advice. I just have a few things
to add.

First, and most important, is to document *everything*! Day,
time, what he said, what you said, ... If you have any way
to record one or two of these conversations, I'd say go for
it. You can't have too much documentation on the issue.

Second, talk with HR. Explain that the situation is affecting
you -- your health, your work, your personal life. Say that
you don't *want* to begin legal action, but that the situation
cannot continue as is. When you do, present HR with all the
documentation you've collected so they'll know that you're
not just fooling and they have cause for concern. One phrase
I've found to be effective in the past is, "I would be
happy to file a harrassment suit if you think it would
expedite a solution!" <evil grin>

Definitely find out about filing a harrassment suit. In
most cases, the company is barred from retaliatory firing
for one year from the time you file your suit. That should
give you plenty of time to job shop. <g>

If things get too tough and you need to take a break, go out
on disability. (What? Do I hear "<gasp!> heresy!" from the
chorus in the background??? <G>) I will wager that just
talking about the job conditions to a medical or mental
health professional will open a floodgate of stress-induced
symptoms with which you can easily qualify for disability.
It's a legitimate use of the system - honest! And it will
definitely serve to hightlight the severity of the situation
with those who watch the bottom line at your company.

I know it seems hopeless at this point, but I have several
times seen managers without the skills to manage their way
out of a wet paper bag lateraled to a non-management position
just to get them off the employees backs.

Best of luck to you!
-Sue Gallagher