RE: IE 7 and .chms

Subject: RE: IE 7 and .chms
From: "Morton, Christopher" <CMorton -at- caiso -dot- com>
To: <aurora -at- identicloak -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:23:01 -0800

Yes, well... after completely reinstalling everything on my daughter's
notebook PC, let me say that, in my research, I discovered that the
Windows Update service is only available to IE-enabled machines. Firefox
users need not apply. (If you know of a workaround, please let me know.)

Yes, one can download the OS patches to another machine and manually
apply them one-by-one to the non-IE machine, but do you know the correct
order of patch deployment? It's a Catch 22, I'm afraid.

I'd rather keep my Windows systems completely updated, realizing that
not ALL M$ patches are just for IE. (And for the record, I am eyeing
various Linux distros, but this is a long-term investigation. Near-term
it's Windows (and OS X+) for the real world, folks.)