RE: Customer Satisfaction Survey

Subject: RE: Customer Satisfaction Survey
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: <Jennifer_Gidner -at- Dom -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:09:08 -0800

Hoo boy. This sounds like a pointy-haired boss idea if there ever was
one.

In the same situation, *I'd* be tempted to ask if the software engineers
are going to be rated the same way! That would really make some
engineers shiver in their Birkenstocks...

You should take this "opportunity" to construct a survey that is biased
towards giving you favorable replies, and then see if anyone is sharp
enough to notice. I am perfectly serious; I bet you money that nobody
will notice.

I can see using a well-crafted *long-term* repeatable survey to help you
produce a better product. That's *different* from *rating* a group based
on a survey. After all, you could do what you think is right for an
entire year and then find that the survey says you did the wrong thing.
The time to do the survey is *at the beginning*.

But, these words are wasted. Any organization that comes up with such a
boneheaded idea to begin with is not going to change course just because
I say so.

My honest advice is to take as little time as possible putting together
your survey, write it so that it will produce results in your favor, and
then get your friends to pad the ballot box. And don't be surprised if
they still don't expand your department; any organization that needs
evidence of that sort is searching for *any* way to avoid spending the
money.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.