software question

Subject: software question
From: "Mary Elizabeth" <msmith -at- medicfirstaid -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:09:54 -0800

Hello!

I apologize if the answer to the following question is obvious or has been
given in the recent past. I searched the archives and didn?t find anything
relating to this subject (though I admit I got a bit overwhelmed after about
45 minutes of searching and gave up).

Question: For a technical writer interested in starting freelance work,
would it make sense to purchase Adobe Creative Suite? I have the
opportunity to purchase the full suite at a student discount (my partner is
currently a graduate student), but I don?t want to purchase it if it doesn?t
make sense to have it. Is InDesign (or Acrobat/Photoshop/Illustrator, etc.)
important enough for freelance technical writing to justify the expense, or
would Word work just as well? Are there other important software programs
for general technical writers to have access to?

Thanks for your help!

Mary Elizabeth Smith
Development Writer
MEDIC FIRST AID International, Inc.