Re: Critique of instructions for preparing Pop-tarts

Subject: Re: Critique of instructions for preparing Pop-tarts
From: Amy Gale <amyg -at- grammatech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:40:02 -0500

I do think it's useful to be told to take the packaging off, in an age where you can get special 'paper' bags to improve your toasting experience.

It's hard to imagine that many people would actually read a pop-tart package for instructions, though. If it's a lawsuit issue, it may also have something of a retroactive flavor. "Well, we TOLD you in the instructions...it's not OUR fault you didn't read them...they're right there on the BOX..."

Elizabeth O'Shea wrote:

In these islands, we don't have exercises about PBJ sandwiches. Instead, we make cups of tea. I still haven't seen sample instructions that begin with 'Buy a decent brand of teabag or tea leaf'. I've seen plenty that leave out the warning about boiling water scalding you.

I was always puzzled by instructions that said "take the teapot to the kettle, not the other way around". Does it really make any difference at all? Really? Really really?

When I was in primary school, the children in the oldest class (10-11 yo) took it in turns to make the morning and lunchtime tea for the teachers. (This was actually a privilege, since you got to leave class 10 minutes early and you had an assigned tea making partner to hang out with.) There was an ancient list of instructions to follow, which included adding X teaspoons of tea. There was not, however, any indication that the pretty spoon that lived in the tea caddy was not in fact a teaspoon.

We had to take the teapot to the 'kettle', since it was not so much a kettle as a large water boiler permanently attached to the wall. I don't remember any warnings about boiling water, either. I wonder if kids still do that sort of thing. Seems unlikely, somehow.