Re: Being Laid Off

Subject: Re: Being Laid Off
From: "Mike McCallister" <workingwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Steven Sweet" <steve -at- easysw -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:46:45 -0600

Steve,

You've gotten a ton of good suggestions, and places to network. Let me
throw one more on the pile. If you still are located near the college
you graduated from, chances are good that their placement office is
still available to you. While they are obviously geared especially
toward placing those graduating seniors, they can help you too. Often
they have free or cheap resume-writing seminars, access to career
counselors, those Business Journal annual lists. My school's placement
office has many of these resources online for graduates.

One other networking possibility: Try hanging out with developers and
other people who work with the technology you have experience in. Java
Users Groups, web design groups, IEEE and the like. While it's great
and important to get support from the tech writing community, often
the people who hire tech writers aren't tech writers. So cast the net
broadly, and best of luck to you!

sincerely,

Mike McCallister

--