RE: Planning modular help for software packages

Subject: RE: Planning modular help for software packages
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:36:35 -0600

You have a lot of work ahead of you and I wish the best of luck in figuring
it all out. One of the things that threw up a red flag in my mind is to
bring up the situation where your documentation already has link(s) to the
doc for a package the client may not have installed. For example, if your
client only has Packages A & B, but you have a link from B to C in the doc,
you either have to not give them the information in package C by rewriting
the content to not refer to package B <which if that connection exists, that
makes your doc incomplete> or give them the doc for package C. I document a
system that has many of these cross-system links
<http://www.quintrex.com/Products/Grid_prod3_small.htm> so I don't think I
could do what you are suggesting. I give our clients all the doc.

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
Team Macromedia - RoboHelp
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/team_members/200.ht